Visa requirements for Americans Canadians Austrialians NZers to work in France

All nationalities are welcome to come and follow our 4 week TEFL course in Toulouse to get qualified! But what about working afterwards?

A lot of our ex trainees from the US / Canada/ Australia / NZ etc… work  teaching online wherever they are in the world. You can do this until you find regular work in a language school. Some people do it instead!

If you have an EU passport (ie a British one) then you can work in France for as long as you like. You don’t need to read the following about visas. Just go back here

This page provides information  mainly for Americans, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders who want to live and work  in France.

The following information is as up to date as possible but you should check with your local French consulate / embassy website for the latest information, as the rules are often updated.

If you need a visa then you must apply for it at least 2 months in advance, while still in your own country. Visas cannot be applied for once you are here in France.

Working holiday visa for Canadians to work in France

For Canadians who are under 35, this visa allows you to work on a contract and can be extended after a a year without going back to Canada! Fantastic! Have a look at the Consulate General of France for more information about this visa.

Working holiday visa for Australians to work in France

Australians have to be under 30 to be eligible for the working holiday visa, and unlike Canadians, their visas cannot be renewed in France. But Aussies can still come for a year to study and work on a contract! See Campus France for more info.

Working holiday visa for New Zealanders to work in France

New Zealanders seem to be very welcome in France and work on a contract! We have had a lot of you over the years on our course!  The French Embassy site has more information about this visa.

Can Americans work / teach English in France legally?

Yes- here’s how it works:

There is a whole array of Courses in France to get a student visa especially if you are available to start in September. Why not have a look to see if there is the perfect course for you?  Having a student visa means you are allowed to teach English legally while studying. In this case our July or August course would probably be perfect.
The most flexible option (but more expensive) if you want to live and work in France on a student visa and need to learn French is the following:
The Alliance Francaise in Toulouse offer French courses at beginner to upper intermediate (A1 to B1) levels , and provide TEFL Toulouse trainees with a 10% discount on their Student Visa French course. The great thing with the Alliance courses is that you can start pretty much any time of the year, so you can do OUR course at anytime and start theirs very shortly afterwards. Here is the procedure, which you should begin several months in advance:

  1. You apply for our course, and contact The Alliance Francaise  Toulouse to find out when you can start their course (asap after ours ends) and confirm your discount. We work together.
  2. Once we have accepted you, you purchase 6 months of their 4 week courses (at around 500 euros each, after your TEFL Toulouse discount) to get the student working visa. They will bill you for the first 3 of their courses upfront and when they receive this payment they will send you the registration certificate. You use this registration certificate to apply for a student working visa. Campus France can help you with the whole visa procedure.
  3. You pay the Alliance Française the balance for the second 3 month course when you start your course with them.
  4. Their courses will be in the mornings, and so you will be free to teach in the afternoons and evenings privately and on a contract. The Alliance Française also offer a range of activities (cooking, wine tasting, local visits…) as well as accommodation during your French course.
  5. Once you are in France on a long term student visa, you might be able to renew it without needing to go home by arranging more studies. Want more information? Just email the Alliance Francaise as above or us on

American doing a TEFL class on a tourist visa – what we recommend

Why not get TEFL certified here in Toulouse for your first month, enjoy France for 2 more months, maybe teaching informally? Wasn’t that part of your dream anyway? Why not travel about (we can give you endless advice about where to go and where to stay) after your course , and find that perfect spot you would like to return to one day to teach English? Buses and trains are cheap in France!

You might also find that TEFL Toulouse class + return travel to Toulouse + 450 euros for accommodation works out much cheaper than getting TEFL qualified in the US!

Jonathan the course director used to work as a tour guide for France (and Spain) and will happily provide you with an amazing “off the beaten track” in France or Spain itinerary for the 2 months after your TEFL course!

Apply Now!